SUMMER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The property known as no.1 and no.2 PalmTree Cottage or PalmTree Villa (the property) is offered for holiday rental subject to these Terms and Conditions and confirmation by the owner to the renter (the client). A link to these Terms and Conditions will be sent to the client at the time of enquiry and again when booking. They will also be sent a link to the business website. It is expected that, if the client makes a booking, then they will have read, understood and accepted the Terms and Conditions.
Enquiries, reservations and bookings
2. To book the property directly with the owner an enquirer should contact the owner by email and request the dates be reserved. If the reservation is accepted by the owner the dates will be 'pencilled-in' only. The enquirer will be informed if another enquiry is received before the deposit (or full payment) is received. The first enquirer will be given first refusal.
3. In order that the non-refundable deposit may be paid*, the owner will pass bank account and sort code details, or if preferred the PayPal** link, to the enquirer. Until the deposit is paid the owner will not 'book' the dates and they will remain 'pencilled-in'. Following receipt of the deposit, the owner will send a confirmation to the client and is the formal acceptance of booking. The client will also be sent a link to these Terms and Conditions and the date that the balance of payment falls due.
*The level of non-refundable deposit will be determined by the owner and the enquirer will be informed at this stage. If the rental is below a certain figure then the owner reserves the right to seek the full rental at the time of deposit.
**If the client chooses to pay by PayPal then any fees payable will be charged to the client.
Holiday company bookings
4. Holiday companies using 'quick-book' systems will contact the owner on behalf of the client, who have the option of accepting or rejecting the booking. If the booking is accepted by the owner then clause 3 above will apply and the non-refundable deposit required by the owner. Any fees payable to the holiday company for use of a quick-book system will be charged to the client.
5. The Terms and Conditions of the owner take precedence over those of the holiday booking company as the property is an independent business.
6. The balance of the rental together with security deposit (see clause 7) is payable not less than eight weeks before the start of the rental period.
If payment is not received by the due date and arrangements cannot be made between the owner and the client then the owner reserves the right to give notice in writing that the reservation is cancelled. The client will remain liable to pay the balance of the rent unless the owner is able to re-let the Property.
Reservations made within eight weeks of the start of the rental period require full rental payment, plus security deposit, at the time of booking.
Methods of payment
7. Payment may be made in sterling by direct transfer from UK bank account to the owners' UK bank account. Alternatively, transfer of Euros (calculated at the relevant rate) between the client's euro-zone bank and the owners' French bank account is also acceptable. Both of these methods are free, quick and secure.
PayPal payments are also acceptable although any fees payable to PayPal will be charged to the client.
The owner is unable to accept credit or debit card payments.
8. A security deposit, the level of which is determined by the owner, is required in case of damage to the property, contents or facilities. The required sum will be part of the information pack given to the client at the time of enquiry.
The owner will account to the client for the security deposit and refund the balance due within two weeks after the end of the rental period. However, this security deposit shall not limit the client's liability to the owner should the level of damage exceed the deposit. Please note clause 11 regarding holiday insurance covering this damage.
If the client pays the security deposit by PayPal and wishes it returned by the same method, then any fees incurred will be payable by the client.
9. Any chargeable expenses arising during the rental period will be settled with the owners on site, before departure. Failure to do so will results in the expense being deducted from the security deposit.
10. Cancellation will result in the loss of the non-refundable deposit, and if the cancellation is within 8 weeks of the start of the rental period the balance of the rental fees will be due. If the holiday has been fully paid for and then cancelled, the owner will attempt to re-let the property. If this is successful the rental fee will be refunded less the deposit and any re-advertising and administration costs. If not then an arrangement may be made between the client and the owner depending on the particular circumstances. The security deposit will be refunded in these circumstances.
11. The owner has insurance to cover third party risks in relation to the property. This does not include third party liability for actions taken by occupants of the property. The client is strongly advised to arrange a comprehensive travel insurance (including cancellation cover) and to have full cover for the party's personal belongings, public liability etc., since these are not covered by the owner's insurance. This needs to include damage to the property which exceeds the security deposit.
Arrival and departure
12. The rental period commences not before 4.30pm on the first day and ends at 10.00am on the last day. The client is asked to not arrive before 4.30pm as this will delay preparation of the property. No facilities or accommodation will be made available to the client or their party before this time. The client shall not be entitled to remain in occupation after 10.00am on the final day and is asked to ensure that they vacate the property and facilities by this time in order not to delay preparation for the next clients. If no clients are due to arrive then a special arrangement may be possible with the express permission of the owner.
Conditions of Occupation
13. The maximum number to sleep in the property must not exceed four people in in each of the the Cottages and eight people in the Villa unless the owner has given express permission.
14. All persons who will stay in the property must be named and ages stated to the owner either at the time of booking or on arrival and no other person may stay in the property or use its facilities without the express permission of the owner. If permission is given by the owner an extra charge may be made to the client cover expenses occurred. Names and ages of all guests of clients must be given to the owner in case of emergency, otherwise permission will not be granted.
The client must ensure their guests are made fully aware of the rules that apply within the property and facilities. The client will be responsible for any damage caused by their guests.
15. The client agrees to be a considerate tenant and to take good care of the property and facilities and to leave it in a clean and tidy condition at the end of the rental period. The owner reserves the right to make a charge of £25 an hour (which will be retained from the security deposit) to cover cleaning costs if the client does not leave the property as it was found or in an unacceptable condition in any other way. Photographic evidence of the condition will be made if such a charge is levied.
16. Villotte is a peaceful hamlet and the client agrees not to act in any way which could cause a disturbance.
17. The client and their party acquire no rights whatever over the property excepting occupation as a holiday let for the period booked. The client shall not sub-let the property.
18. The client shall report to the owner without delay any defects or damage in the property or it's facilities, or any breakdown or defect in machinery or appliances. Arrangements for repair and/or replacement will be made by the owner as soon as possible and the client will be informed of any charges liable, either directly or taken from security deposit. The cost of repair/replacement for damage found or items missing after the client leaves will be charged to the client and deducted from the security deposit.
19. The owner shall not be liable to compensate the client for occurrences outside the control of the owner such as:-
a. for any temporary defect or stoppage of public services to the property, nor in respect of any equipment, appliance in the property, garden or swimming pool
b. for any loss, damage or injury which is the result of adverse weather conditions, riot, war, strikes and other matters beyond the control of the owner;
c. for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused to or suffered by the client if the property shall be destroyed or substantially damaged before the start of the rental period rendering it unlettable. In such an event the owner shall notify the client as soon as possible and within seven days of that notification refund to the client all sums previously paid in respect of the rental period.
d. if an advertised facility is modified or not available, for example, due to necessary maintenance, unsuitable weather conditions or local circumstances.
20. Under no circumstances shall the owner's liability to the client exceed the amount paid to the owner for the rental period.
21. The use of the property and facilities is entirely at the user's risk and no responsibility can be accepted for injury to a user or visitor and loss or damage to the user's or visitor's belongings. Children must be properly supervised when using the facilities. No responsibility can be accepted for any loss or damage to any motor vehicle or its contents.
22. No pets are allowed on the property without the express permission of the owner. The client will be liable for any pets they allow onto the property and will be charged for any damage caused or extra cleaning required as a result of their presence.
23. No smoking is permitted inside the cottage. Any extra cleaning charges due to smoking odours will be charged to the client and taken from the security deposit.
24. This contract shall be governed by English law in every particular including formation and interpretation and shall be deemed to have been made in England. Any proceedings arising out of or in connection with the Contract may be brought in any court of competent jurisdiction in England.
PalmTree Holiday Cottage Privacy Statement
We collect basic client information, relevant to a holiday in France, in order to be able to function as a business and provide the holiday booked. We keep this information in a safe and confidential location. We never pass-on this information to third parties unless expressly authorised by the client or required to do so by the Police or official financial auditor.
These are the actions we take and why:
- We delete all emails from enquirers who do not book after one month as part of the weeding process.
- We delete emails and registration forms relating to clients 6 months after the end of the holiday. We are required to retain this information for six months by French law under the Code of Entry and Stay of Foreigners in France.
- We retain information relating to financial transactions (normally basic information about the lead member or person paying for the holiday). This is required by French laws relating to tax and prevention of money laundering.